Chillies and broccoli are a match made in heaven. This vegan spelt spaghetti with chilli, broccoli and tomatoes makes for a perfect weeknight dinner.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
400g spelt spaghetti
2 fresh broccoli heads
1 tbsp chilli flakes
300g cherry tomatoes
A handful of fresh basil leaves
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place two pots of water to boil, one for the pasta, and the other for your broccoli.
- In a wok, heat the oil over low heat and add your cherry tomatoes and chilli flakes.
- When the water is boiling, add some salt and put the pasta and broccoli in the pots to cook. Both should take up to seven minutes, but try to ensure they are al dente — about five minutes in.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli, add to the chilli and tomatoes and mix in. Turn up to a medium heat.
- Serve hot, with a handful of basil on top to garnish.
Turning vegan as a student proved quite difficult in the beginning, but I soon discovered the magic of chilli and the way it can spice up any simple pasta dish. While I highly recommend broccoli, because of its rich source in iron — and because it’s absolutely delicious — this ingredient can be swapped out with anything from aubergines or courgettes to peppers or cauliflower. It’s always best to go with the most seasonal vegetable, not only because it’ll taste better, but because it will help lower your carbon footprint too.